Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Celebrating People Who Inspire Me

I have come to notice today both the strength and the fear in humility. It became obvious to me when I sent out six individual invitations to a small gathering I am holding next month for these people who inspire me.
The purpose is not self fulfilling but to let others know what they do and how they do it really matters. It is the success in their humility that makes them great in my eyes. They truly inspire me. In my eyes, they are worthy of praise.
What has transpired is what I expected to be a prompt yes became silence from three of the invitees. Upon reflection it is truly a reflection of their humility that they are possibly uncomfortable with being in the limelight even as small and intimate a gathering as it will be. I expect they were thinking why me. Whats Paul thinking?
It's a world filled with things we measure both at work and in our personal lives. I believe it is the things we don't measure that make people unique. My late father-in law used to say "Paul your are never a good shit until your dead. " "People will say the nicest things about you when your gone." Come to think of it, I believe he was right.
So why wait to say the nice things about deserving people until they are gone. The business world is quick to sing the praises of the captains of industry and commerce. We all know it takes talent and leadership to be a success in business. But, does it speak to who they are as a person? Some times in life it's not about the measurable things such as money. It's the soft side. The human side. The world has many people who are kind and caring. The people who inspire me are those who overcame personal challenges or who took risks to improve their lives and the lives of others including their families.
I await with excitement having these six amazing people who inspire me in the same room. Will it make me feel good? Of course it will. The real joy will be having the six people sharing their personal triumphs with each other without feeling boastful. Perhaps my little exercise will become contagious in that we will not have to wait until we are gone to have people say nice things about us. It's more than letting people know were thinking of them. It's about what we think of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment