Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Do You Like The Person You See In The Mirror?


It's January and I expect you're reflecting on the coming year. You are probably thinking about things you want to change in your life. The old saying "there is always room for improvement" is right. We all know there is no silver bullet in success. There are many factors that will improve your chances of success like hard work, determination, persistence, who you know and the most importantly pushing past your comfort zone.
I am three-quarters through the book "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Dr. Norman Doidge. The stories in the book of the people who over came tremendous odds to their mental challenges is extremely inspiring. The one common theme in the book is the brain can rewire itself if given the task. The old use it or lose it is a requirement for a healthy brain. This does not mean use it the same every day but quite the opposite. Dr. Doidge tells us we are victims of our habits. Our daily routines have our brains using the same brain passage ways to accomplish our daily requirements. This creates a lazy brain. I expect the comfort zone travels this route many times in the run of a day!
I expect you're asking what does all this brain stuff have to do with telling the truth to the person in the mirror? I see this as a critical step. Your brain will believe what you tell it. I feel it's easy to look in the mirror and say your a victim. I am who I am due to external circumstances. This belief is disguised as an excuse you believe as fact. It's like leaving the bill that came in the mail unopened. Even though you know it's not good news you believe if you ignore it that it will go away. What I don't know won't hurt me so to say.
If I have not hit a nerve with you yet then you need to spend some extra mirror time. Take a long look yourself and ask yourself the question. Am I being honest with myself?
Things do not change for the better by wishing it to be so. Your allowing external forces to guide your direction in life will only lead to discontent. Your life will change because you made a conscious decision to improve yourself. Deep down inside you know you must do this. Don't wait until tomorrow to have that look in the mirror. The first step is believing your worth it. Your family and your career deserve the best that you can possibly be.

No comments:

Post a Comment